Here's another eye opening story from the floors of Computex 2017. Asus ROG has produced AMD motherboards before, but never a laptop featuring an AMD CPU. At Computex Asus ROG showcased the Strix GL702ZC gaming laptop that not only features an AMD Ryzen CPU, but also a top of the line Radeon Polaris GPU, and a FreeSync display panel. Of course Asus ROG hasn't neglected supporting components and the laptop also boasts expansive fast RAM options, M.2 NVMe SSD support, and other premium modern technologies.
The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC gaming laptop is built around a 17.3-inch display. Asus will offer multiple configurations including a 4K version that tops out at 60Hz, plus 1080p variants at 75Hz and 120Hz - all matte coated IPS panels with AMD FreeSync support. At 1.3-inch (33mm) thick and a weight of less than 7lbs (3.2Kg) this isn't the biggest and bulkiest 17-inch sized gaming laptop, especially considering its powerful internals.
Other key components in the Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC are as follows:
- Choice of AMD Ryzen 7 1700, Ryzen 5 1600, or quad-core Ryzen 3 1200 CPUs (no OC facility with any of these choices)
- AMD Radeon RX 580 GPU with up to 8GB GDDR5
- Dual SO-DIMM slots with support for up to 32GB of DDR4-2400 memory
- M.2 slot for NVMe SSDs up to 512GB (throughput to 2200MB/s) + 2.5-inch drive bay
- Hyper Cool Duo-Copper cooling system
- Gigabit Ethernet, onboard 2x2 antenna 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1
- Backlit (red) keyboard with 1.6mm travel, 30 key rollover
- DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 outputs
- Array microphones built-in, as are Sonic Studio and Sonic Radar
- 1x USB Type-C port, 3x USB Type-A ports, card reader, 3.5mm audio jack
Pricing for the various GL702ZC configurations will be shared as these laptops become available "later this summer".