Shuttle today announced that it has started to ship the first batch of its Barebone DS81 systems. These systems are just 43mm tall and can be kitted out with a 4th Generation Intel Core Processor (LGA1150) of your choice from Celeron to Core i7 with a maximum TDP of 65W.
Video soundtrack has no dialogue, just music
The Shuttle DS81 gained a "great deal of attention at CeBIT," according to Shuttle's head of marketing and PR. HEXUS did take a brief look at it back then. The system's key features beyond its ultra-compact size and support for Haswell processor is that it sports two DisplayPort connectors and an HDMI connector and is capable of 4K content playback.
To complement your choice of processor you can equip up to 16 GB DDR3 memory. Inside the chassis is room for a 2.5-inch disc drive, connected via a SATA 6Gbit/s interface. Two Mini-PCI Express expansion slots are available for additional cards including extra storage capability via mSATA-SSD or a Wireless network card. Staying on the topic of storage, the machine is also equipped with a multi-format card slot on its front panel.
Shuttle Barebone DB81 specs
- Mainboard: Shuttle FS81 (8 layer design) using Intel H81 Express Chipset
- Processor support: Socket LGA 1150 (H3) supports the fourth generation of Intel Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium processors up to 65W TDP (max)
- Cooling: Heat pipe processor cooling with two 60 mm fans on the upper side of the chassis
- Memory: 2x SO-DIMM slots support DDR3-1333/1600 SDRAM memory inc dual-channel mode
- Mini PCIe slots: one full size one half size
- Audio: Realtek ALC 662-VC High-Definition Audio, two connectors on the front panel
- LAN: Dual Gigabit LAN Controller
- Storage: 1x Serial-ATA III, 6 Gb/s (600 MB/s) bandwidth, 1x Serial-ATA II, 3 Gb/s (300 MB/s) bandwidth, 1x 2.5-inch storage bay supports one hard disk or SSD drive, device height can be up to 12.5 mm (max.)
- Front panel: Microphone input, Audio Line-out (headphone), 4x USB 2.0, SD card reader, Power button, Power LED (blue), HDD LED (yellow)
- Back panel: 1x HDMI connector, 2x DisplayPort connectors (DP, supports 4k resolution), 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, 2x Gigabit LAN (RJ45), 2x RS232 serial ports (5V/12V, 1x switchable to RS422 / RS485), DC-input connector for external power adapter, Four pin connector, Wireless LAN antenna perforations
- Dimensions: 190 x 165 x 43 mm (LWH) = 1.35 litres
- Weight: 1.3 kg net and 2.1 kg gross
- Power: External 90 W power adapter (fanless) supplying 19 V DC, 4.74 A, max. 90 W
- Mounting: VESA compatible
You can see by perusing the above specs that the DS81 is built for "special networking applications" with its 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports and also two serial RS-232 interfaces for device control (1x switchable to RS-422/RS-485). Complementing this purpose Shuttle has designed the DS81 with a both a remote power-on connector and an always-on jumper to turn it on as soon as power is (re)supplied.
This barebones 190 x 165 x 43 mm system is built to be operated in either horizontal or vertical operation and is supplied with a VESA mount for monitor or wall installation. Depending upon where it is installed you might want to get hold of the optional WLN-S twin-antenna Wi-Fi module.
The Shuttle DS81 is now available for 179 Euros before any applicable VAT.